Sunday, February 1, 2009

Day 32 - Spikes


I am the 4th generation of my family to live in the house I'm in now. Back in the 19teens my greatgrandfather would catch the trolley right in front of the house. 2 years ago when the road was being rebuilt - I approached a worker and asked if he had come across any trolley spikes or track. At the time he hadn't. I told him about my Great Grandpa, and he kindly spread the word up and down the street that if they found spikes or track to please hold on to them. The road work went all summer long. Then about August I would open my front door and find a spike or two. This went on for days. These workers saved me every spike they found. When they were doing clean up down the street, they actually cut me a piece of track from a 50 foot section they had uncovered, and gave it to me on their last day. Thanks guys!!!

10 comments:

KayJay said...

How nice of the workmen! Great thing to keep for the house.
CU soon
Hugs
Kerri

Tabitha said...

AWWWWW! That is a great story!

Karen I. said...

That is a great story! Definitely something to capture. How nice of those men.

Ellay said...

Oh wow...I got goosebumps reading that. How cool of those guys...and such a great story!!

Iris said...

What a great story! The guys are really cool!

Susan said...

This is a beautiful story. How special to live in the house with so much family history. I love the picture showing how big those spikes are.

Shannon said...

What a great story. It was so nice of the workers to gather the spikes for you. It's nice to know that people like that are still around. Great photo. Thanks for sharing.

Emma said...

That was a very interesting piece of history and how nice that you have those pieces to keep it alive. Love that picture.

michellewaite1 said...

Great picture and fun story. Can you use them in the garden?

Erika said...

So nice of the workers to save the spikes for you. Great picture and such a fantastic story to go with it!